CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 13, 2008

Mark and Regina: Seminary Class

My freshman year I was not only new to secondary education, I was new to the school district--having moved across town--and new to seminary, too. Seminary started before school because it was a religious class from our church and had to be held when the other students wouldn't be affected by it. It was my favorite "class" because I knew most of the group and I love our religion. I enjoy thinking back to seminary because it's where Mark and I had the most exposure to each other--something I'm now eternally grateful for.

Our clas had about 15 students altogether. We would come somewhere around 7:00 am and spent an hour or so learning gospel principles. Our instructor was excited about teaching using creative off-the-wall examples to teach us and illustrate certain concepts. He also required a morning devotional that we all took turns doing; some of us not so eagerly.

I particularly enjoyed doing the devotionals at that time in my life. I would use music, make little handouts with quotes on them, find verses from scripture I felt especially drawn to, and I'd get up in front of the class leading them in my little devotional. Mark, liked my devotionals, too, but for different reasons than the substance of the devotionals.For whatever reason, he liked that scrawny, huge
frame-wearing, blonde girl in front of the class. He has always been able to see far more than whatever I've made out of the relfection in my mirror each day. Sometimes I really wish I could get a glimpse of who he sees when he looks at me.

Throughout that year we had experiences that brought us closer together as friends, and a one or two that were less wonderful.

It's funny, when we first moved to that side of town I wasn't all that impressed or excited about having to go to school with a whole new group of kids, I now see it as divine intervention bring Mark and I one step closer to our life together.

2 comments:

Kris said...

I love your story!! I miss you, we need to have a playdate soon. I haven't seen you in soo long.
Give me a call.
Kris

Drama Momma said...

Oh How sweet!


XXOOXX